The DBCC CHECKDB utility is a useful tool in MS SQL Server databases that enables you to find and repair any kind of issues in the MDF files. There are several kinds of repair clauses that help in repairing different types of problems. However, at times, some of the problems are so rigid that DBCC CHECKDB is unable to repair them. In such cases, you should opt for otherMDF file recovery techniques failing which you are advised to use a third-party SQL recovery software torecover MDF file.
Let us assume a situation in which you are running DBCC CHECKDB in an MS SQL Server 2000 database and getting the following error message:
“Table error: Object ID O_ID1, index ID I_ID1 cross-object chain linkage. Page P_ID1 points to P_ID2 in object ID O_ID2, index ID I_ID2.”
The primary cause of this problem is that the P_ID1 page is referring to the P_ID2 page in a different page.
To overcome this erroneous situation, the following resolutions can be used, preferably in the given order:
- Resolve the hardware related errors: You should, first of all, look for the hardware related errors as most of these errors appear due to hardware malfunctioning. For this, you can perform the following tasks:
◦ Analyzing the error logs to check if the error has occurred due to hardware parts corruption.
◦ Running hardware diagnostics and address the errors that appear.
◦ Swapping the hardware components to isolate on the exact cause of error.
◦ Formatting the hard disks and reinstalling the operating system
- Check the database backup and use it: If the hardware parts are absolutely fine, then you should restore the database from the backup provided it is updated and clean.
- Run DBCC CHECKDB again: You should run DBCC CHECKDB again with the suggested repair clause to repair the damaged SQL database.
If the problem appears again even after using the aforementioned methods, then this is an obvious case of using a third-party SQL data recovery software. Having a rich user interface and the use of highly advanced scanning mechanisms ensure that the the .MDF recovery is safe and secure.