We can configure SQL Server to send email. First you had to enable SQL Mail and set up a mail profile. SQL Mail can be enabled by opening the Properties dialog box from the SQL Mail node, by using the Surface Area Configuration facet of Policy-Based Management, or by the using the sp_configure stored procedure.
- Expand a server in Object Explorer
- Right-click on SQL Server Agent, and click on Properties.
- On the Alert System page, click Enable mail profile. If this option is not available, enable SQL Mail and set up a mail profile.
- In the Mail system list, choose SQL Mail.
- In the Mail profile list, select the Extended MAPI mail profile you created for SQL Mail. For more information about configuring a mail profile, see How to: Configure Mail Profiles for Use by SQL Mail (Windows).
- Restart the SQL Server Agent service for your changes to take effect. For more information, see How to: Restart the SQL Server Agent Service (SQL Server Management Studio).
- To test SQL Mail, send a test message using xp_sendmail.